B201 at University of Auckland
- Hawkins (Head Contractor)
- HVAC Contractor
- Plumbing Contractor
About this project:
The 50-year-old former Auckland University Social Sciences Building (B201) on Symonds Street has been refurbished in a sustainable, adaptive reuse project, and recently awarded the 6 Green Star Design Review from the NZ Green Build Building Council.
The refurbishment meant stripping the building back to its framing and where possible re-using as much of the material as possible diverting 70% from landfill. The design of this project focussed on acoustic performance, healthy, comfortable, and functional spaces for the many thousands of students and staff who will work, learn, research, and socialise within its walls.
FDG kept those on the project in building services moving and making with timely and onsite delivery of product for HVAC, Electrical and Plumbing services. A key product supplied by FDG was our hero product Modframe™. This modular steel framing was primarily used to support air conditioning ducts and pipework.
Our service went beyond just product supply with custom fabricated droppers and seismic & engineering designs.
Onsite “check in’s” with customers allowed FDG to stay current with project modifications and adapt product requirements as required.
- 93 points awarded by the New Zealand Green Building Council achieving a 6 Green Star Design rating.
- FDG’s modular framing product Modframe™ is manufactured in Germany by MEFA who with their optimised processes and conservation of resources contributed towards this green star achievement.
- In the construction process the original frame of the building was used in order to reduce waste into landfill.
- Originally constructed in stages during the 1970s this University building officially opened in 1979.